Keeping Teeth White
You’ve worked hard to create a beautiful smile with white teeth. Here are a few tips to keep your teeth white:
- Brush and floss daily to keep your teeth clean and free of stains. Ideally, you should brush after every meal, but at least brush in the morning and before bed. Change your toothbrush every 2-3 months and brush in a gentle, circular motion.
- Visit your dentist for regular checkups where your dentist and dental hygienist will provide an oral evaluation and use professional polishing to remove deep discolorations.
- One of the causes of bad breath is bacterial buildup on the tongue, so using a tongue scraper will help remove plaque. Flossing isn’t just for before bed — floss frequently to remove food particles between your teeth.
- Avoid wine, coffee, tea, juices, colas, and cigarettes to reduce staining. If you regularly drink any of the aforementioned beverages, brush teeth afterwards with a toothpaste that protects against yellowing. If you don’t want to drag around your toothbrush, try the single use mini-toothbrushes now available.
- Try some alternative teeth cleanings: Fresh, crisp vegetables including carrots and celery help keep teeth clean. Gargle with apple cider vinegar can help remove stains and kill unwanted bacteria. Try brushing gently with a very small amount of baking soda once or twice a week to help eliminate stains.
- If you wear lipstick, use colors such as light reds or medium corals that accentuate your white teeth and steer clear of lighter colors because they can make your teeth appear yellow.
If you are consistently following these tips, and still feel your teeth should be whiter, then talk to your dentist about special teeth whitening treatments that can be done either in the dental office or at home.
If you’ve already whitened your teeth, you may need a touch-up annually, especially if you consume foods or drinks that can stain your teeth.
Dr. Claudio Miro and associates have been treating patients in the greater Miami area for over 30 years. As a team, we believe that the patient is of upmost importance at every level. We take pride in the care we provide to our patients at Miro Dental Centers. We take the time to make sure our patients are fully informed and are given all treatment options. Our goal is to the provide our patients with optimal oral health by using state of the art technology.
With the dental field rapidly advancing, we are always looking for new and innovative treatments to serve our patients. We provide all types of services, including dental cleanings, orthodontics, endodontics, periodontics, oral surgery and cosmetic dentistry.
If you have questions about your dental health or would like to schedule an appointment at our offices in Coral Gables, Kendall, Hialeah, or Hollywood, please contact us today at 305-442-7444.