Over the last few decades, advancements in dental technology have resulted in dental implants that look and feel just like natural teeth. Furthermore, these dental implants even function in a similar way, using synthetic tooth roots made of titanium that integrate with the jaw bone. Today’s dental implants are an excellent solution to replace missing teeth.
Taking great care of your teeth, dental implants, gums and entire mouth is essential. It may be true that cavities can’t form in the synthetic material of dental implants. But if you don’t brush and floss regularly, you may be at risk for developing peri-implantitis, an infection caused by the daily buildup of plaque and bacteria at the implant site. Peri-implantitis can cause problems in the gums and teeth next to the affected tooth and can even result in the loss of the dental implant, surrounding teeth, and jaw bone.
Similar to natural teeth, dental implants must be carefully cleaned and cared for every day to maintain a healthy, lasting smile. In fact, one of the most critical factors in determining how long your dental implant will last is oral hygiene.
Cleaning Dental Implants
Several types of cleaning aids may help you clean your dental implant more thoroughly.
• A soft toothbrush with tapered bristles will help you brush natural teeth and allow you to gently reach under the gum line.
• Interdental brushes and dental floss are ideal for cleaning between teeth.
• Soft dental picks have supple tips and enable you to remove food particles in between dental implants without scratching the surface.
• Special floss designed for implants will help you safely remove food particles between teeth.
• Avoid using any harsh objects such as paper clips or hard toothbrushes as they may permanently scratch your tooth.
• Most importantly, ask your dentist or dental hygienist which, if any, of the specialized cleaning tools will help you clean your particular type of implant best.
Dental implants can make a world of difference for individuals who have struggled with missing teeth. And taking great care of your dental implants is the key to a healthy, beautiful, and lasting smile.
Miro Dental Center
Dr. Claudio Miro and associates have been treating patients in the greater Miami area for over 30 years. As a team, we believe that the patient is of utmost importance at every level. We take pride in the care we provide to our patients at Miro Dental Centers. We take the time to make sure our patients are fully informed and are given all treatment options. Our goal is to the provide our patients with optimal oral health by using state of the art technology.
With the dental field rapidly advancing, we are always looking for new and innovative treatments to serve our patients. We provide all types of services, including dental cleanings, orthodontics, endodontics, periodontics, oral surgery and cosmetic dentistry.
If you have questions about your dental health or would like to schedule an appointment at our offices in Coral Gables, Kendall, Hialeah, or Hollywood, please contact us today at 305-442-7444.