Why You Need Regular Dental Visits
Brushing and flossing your teeth at least twice a day is one of the most important steps in maintaining excellent oral health. But did you know that you may be putting your oral health at risk if you forego regular dental visits?
The American Dental Association (ADA) recommends dental visits every six months or as determined by your dentist. Visiting your dentist regularly is the key to maintaining healthy teeth and gums.
During a regular dental visit, your dental professionals will provide a thorough oral examination and preventative treatment. Your dentist will examine your gums, neck, throat, and tongue for oral conditions and cancer, and check your teeth for cavities as well as plaque and tartar. X-rays may be needed to provide a clearer picture of your teeth. Your dental hygienist will professionally clean and polish your teeth, removing tartar buildup and plaque.
Here are a few of the reasons why dental visits are imperative for good oral health:
- Early detection combined with prompt treatment generate the best results. Believe it or not, cavities, oral cancer, and gum disease are not visible to the patient nor do they cause pain in the early stages of disease. During a regular check-up, your dentist will be able to identify any health concerns and provide the earliest and best treatment options.
- Plaque and tartar removal allow you to maintain healthy teeth longer. Gum or periodontal disease is caused by the bacteria in plaque. Without proper oral hygiene, the bacteria can create cavities in the teeth, gum inflammation and irritation that lead to gingivitis. Gingivitis can be reversed with proper dental treatment and ongoing hygiene, but a lack of treatment can be a slippery path leading to severe periodontitis and advanced periodontitis. When gum disease worsens, it can severely damage and destroy gum tissue, bone and teeth.
- Cleanings help eliminate halitosis. Halitosis or bad breath is often caused by bacteria in the teeth or gum areas. Professional cleanings are designed to remove bacteria from the teeth along with plaque and tartar. Maintaining good oral hygiene after the dental cleaning will help eliminate foul-smelling halitosis.
- Professional dental cleanings and good hygiene boost overall health. Did you know that poor dental hygiene has been linked to several other health conditions? Severe periodontal disease and other poor oral health conditions can lead to serious health problems including heart disease, cancer, and diabetes.
- Good oral health boosts confidence. Not only is good oral hygiene important for your overall health, but having a beautiful smile helps you feel good about yourself. Regular dental visits help patients improve oral health and maintain a beautiful smile.
- Preventative dentistry lowers overall dental costs. When patients receive preventative care such as professional cleanings, fluoride treatments, and sealants, dental care will seem like a bargain compared to the cost of restorative dental care.
Dr. Claudio Miro and associates have been treating patients in the greater Miami area for over 30 years. As a team, we believe that the patient is of upmost importance at every level. We take pride in the care we provide to our patients at Miro Dental Centers. We take the time to make sure our patients are fully informed and are given all treatment options. Our goal is to the provide our patients with optimal oral health by using state of the art technology.
With the dental field rapidly advancing, we are always looking for new and innovative treatments to serve our patients. We provide all types of services, including dental cleanings, orthodontics, endodontics, periodontics, oral surgery and cosmetic dentistry.
If you have questions about your dental health or would like to schedule an appointment at our offices in Coral Gables, Kendall, Hialeah, or Hollywood, please contact us today at 305-442-7444.